The Level 1 Surfing Instructor training course is your first step in becoming a surfing instructor. Learn how to safely deliver lessons, group student management and how to create effective lesson plans. At the end of this course, you will be prepared to start delivering lessons with confidence and a ready to use format.
Deliver, plan and assess beginner sessions.
Beginner level surf locations: surf no larger than 1½ft (½ metre)
Surfing instructor in the surfing or outdoor recreation industry.
Industry job roles that require surfing knowledge (e.g. marketing sales, retail, travel)
- The role of the surfing instructor
- Identifying laws and regulations that apply to conducting surfing lessons
- Client management and safety
- Identifying surfing lesson risks and hazards
- Emergency processes and responses
- Logistics and how to plan surfing sessions
- Suitable boards, equipment and resources
- Communication skills for the surfing environment
- Instruction and coaching methods
- Creating lesson plans
- Assessing students performance
- Evaluating surfing lessons
- Minimising environmental impacts (social & natural)
- Abide by student to instructor ratios: maximum of 8 students to 1 accredited instructor.
Before starting this course, you must have:
- 500 hours surfing experience
- surfing skills and knowledge equivalent to Level 6 Intermediate Surfer. Able to effectively ride waves, with control and link and perform intermediate level manoeuvres - top turn, bottom turn and cutback in 3ft surf.
The Level 1 Surfing Instructor course can be completed by:
- Attending a workshop
- Flexible learning
Delivery Option - Workshop
This intensive 2 day workshop will focus on completing the major components of the course. Some additional homework is also required to complete assessments and gain practical on-the-job instruction experience.
Ideal for: students who want to cover theory components in an intensive format.
Workshop course requirements:
In order to gain your Surfing Instructors qualification, you will need to:
- Complete written assessments.
- Demonstrate your Level 6 Intermediate Surfer surfing skills.
- Demonstrate beginner level lesson delivery.
After the workshop:
- Complete 25 hours practical work experience, assisting in delivering surfing lessons, with an accredited or approved surf school.
- Complete a written assessment to demonstrate your intermediate level surfing knowledge and provide video or photos surfing at a another surf break, demonstrating intermediate level surfing manoeuvres (including linking manoeuvres and performing cutback or re-entry).
Before or after the workshop, provide copies of:
- Personal identification (e.g drivers licence or passport)
- Surf Rescue certificate and Senior First Aid certificate, OR Lifesaving (Combined Rescue & First Aid certificate).
Surf Rescue: Date of certificate is no more than 2 years old from date of completion (or 1 year old for Australia) Find Approved Surf Rescue Training Providers
Workshop: 2 days
Plus: post workshop practical work experience
You have 12 months from date of workshop to complete all course requirements.
What we provide:
Level 1 Surfing Instructor Training Manual
Level 1 Assessment & Competency Record Book
Learn to Surf for Beginners level DVD
Learn to Surf Intermediate level manual
Use of Level 1 Surfing Instructor logo
12 months membership
The following equipment and clothing is required to complete the training:
- Surf clothing
- Fibreglass surfboard to demonstrate intermediate surfing skills.
- Beginner soft-top boards with soft fins and leash
Level 1 Surfing Instructor
(valid for 12 months from date of workshop)
Additional certificate issued:
ASI is an Australian Registered Training Organisation (RTO) and also issues the following certificate to students undertaking training in Australia
Australian Department of Education. Registered Training Organisation RTO ID 91496
Statement of Attainment in Certificate IV in Outdoor Recreation (SIS40313)
for units of competency:
SISOSRF202A Demonstrate basic surfing manoeuvres in controlled conditions
SISOSRF303A Perform intermediate level surfing manoeuvres
SISOSRF409A Instruct basic to intermediate surfing skills
SISOSRF201A Demonstrate surf survival and self rescue skills
SISOSRF304A Perform a simple rescue in moderate surf conditions
SISOOPS201A Minimise environmental impact practices
Renewal requirements. click here
Do you have a question? See the FAQ's page: click here